COTM 2009_12







1940 Plymouth PT-50 Station Wagon owned by Nelson & Patrick Thorpe –

 by Pat Thorpe

 This car is owned by GVACS members Nelson & Patrick Thorpe ofBloomfield,NY.  My dad and I have completed several restorations at this time, but this car is the second vehicle to be restored in our new shop, and like our 1937Plymouthpickup, it also went on to win awards through AACA.  We had a gentleman approach as at the Drumlins Region annual show back in 2005 who had recognized the car, and told us that the car was once owned by a family by the last name of Osterling, but aside from that we have no personal history on this car.  We do know that this car was one of 2,500 produced and at this time is one of 17 cars known to be remaining.  These 17 cars includes restored, unrestored and street rods. 

 My father and Woodies:

 My father never had any history of any 1940 Plymouths prior to purchasing this car.  When my father was a boy, my grandfather once owned a 1937 Ford woodie wagon.  As a mischievous youth, my father has recalled the days back when as a young boy how he used to hot wire the car and

Read more: COTM 2009_12

COTM 2009_10

1934 Diamond ‘T’ / Cayasler Pumper owned by the East Bloomfield Fire District – by Pat Thorpe

 This truck is owned by the East Bloomfield Fire District inBloomfield,NY.  Between my father and I, we have had an active presence in that organization since 1969.

The Fire Department

Like everything else in our world, the East Bloomfield Fire Department was formed and has continued to grow based on the needs of our community, and by the mistakes that we have learned from.  In 1921 a fire leveled a carriage house in the village of East Bloomfield, there was nothing in the community pertaining to fire protection, so the building burned to the ground!  As a result, a number of prominent residents of East Bloomfieldfelt an imminent need to start a fire department to protect the community.  In February, 1922 the East Bloomfield– Holcomb Fire Department was formed.  At that point, the fire department took delivery of a brand new Stewart chemical truck.  For the next 10 years, the 1922 vicoli, and the “sler” would represent partners Theodore & Peter Geisler.

 In 1936 Lester W. Young would resign as President of Buffalo Fire Appliance Corporation and purchase controlling interest in Cayasler.  On April 5, 1944 the company would be renamed Young Fire Equipment Corporation would would remain until the company closed its’ doors in 1991. 

 The records at Young Fire Apparatus indicate that East Bloomfield’s 1934 Diamond ‘T’ pumper is the earliest recorded fire apparatus to bear the Cayassler name plate that is still in existence.

1940’s vintage photo of the 1934 Diamond ‘T’ in front of the firehouse.






COTM 2009_05


After being recognized by GVACS with the Allan G. Nagle trphy for the restoration of a 1967 Mustang convertible, it's only appropriate to share my Mustang story.

Over the years of enjoying the hobby of antique car restoration, our daughter, Melinda, liked helping me in the process and attending the car shows. At about the age of 12 Melinda said "Dad, you need to buy a Mustang." I think I was restoring a MG TD at the time. I told her, "if I find a Mustang to restore I wil restore it for you." Some time later I saw a mustang convertible in a Xerox parking lot in Webster. I knew the owner and mentioned that if he ever decided to sell the Mustang I would be interested. About a year later he called and said he was ready to sell the Mustang. This individual had purchased the Mustang in Virginia Beach while he was stationed there with the Navy. It had belonged to the son of the Ford dealer in the area. Although he didn't drive it in the winter it needed restoration, but he didn't have the time.

The '67 Mustang was a plain Jane with a 289 cubic inch engine, manual four speed Ford top transmission, manual steering, AM radio and manual top. The original color was dark green and had been repainted brown with a saddle interior. I picked up the car in Webster and drove it home to Fairport with the owner's plates. I remember thinking"this is much more powerful then I expected, perhaps too powerful for Melinda.' When I got  it home, Karen said "this is the best car you have brought home to restore" I asked why? She said "because you drove it home." All other restoration treasure have basically been brought home in baskets.

I started the restoration almost immediately. Our son, Jason, assisted in the first step to high pressure spray wash the whole car especially the engine compartment and the undercarriage. The car was then disassembled and the body put on a rotisserie. The engine was removed out a Paul Kron's with the assistance of Paul and Les Steigler. The engine was taken to Van's Machine Shop for machining. I reassembled the engine replacing all moving parts expect the crank and connecting rods. It was then put on a stand for storage until the rest of the body was restored.

One time I was out of town on business and I called Bill Boudway. He told me they (Bill, John McAlpin, Don Kittelberger, and Paul Kron) were having a sandblasting party. I asked what they were sandblasting and Bill said "some old Mustang". The car, on the rotisserie, was at John McAlpin's, and they sandblasted the body inside and out. The rusted floor pans, inner rockers, front torque boxes and rear quarters were removed during the process. You know you have very good friends when they go to that extreme to help. In this case extreme means: dirty, noisy and time-consuming. The body and new parts were painted with epoxy primer to preserve during restoration. 

The new body parts purchased from many suppliers, were put in place by the welding artist Paul Kron. Pual would say the owner is fussy so it better be perfect - and it was. As we know there is a "given" for replacement parts - they never fit, but Paul would make them fit and make it look easy. Try it some time - it's not.

After many years of working on and off with Mustang parts it was time to start the process of car assembly. the steering box was rebuilt in Ohio, the transmission rebuilt in Brockport, the stainless trim parts were polished by Ron DeGroff. Before body painting, with the assistance of Walter Hutkowski, the rebuilt engine was installed. Needless to say, this step was real progress. The engine had been sitting for many years waiting for its new home.

I prepped the body and actually started the final painting. However, I wasn't satisfied with the early results, so I stopped and took it to Richard's in Sodus. I had consulted with Melinda regarding the color and interior. She requested candy apple red with parchment interior

After painting and assembly of the car including the interior, I was ready to install the convertible top I had purchased. Like the paint, I didn't want a good job; I wanted a perfect job. So I took the car to Bob Monica in Geneva for the top installation. Bob provided Mustang top service when the Mustang was introduced. He knew the details and the resulting top is perfect.

Upon completion - 11 years after starting, the Mustang was taken to its first AACA national meet in Virginia Beach - How appropriate to return to its home town in 2006. Jason , Melinda and her husband, Jim, joined Karen and me at the meet. The Mustang received its 1st Junior. Later the year it received a Senior 1st place at the Hershey fall meet. Nelson and Pat Thorpe helped by picking up the trophy at Hershey and bringing it home for me. 

As you can see the Mustang restoration over the 11 year period involved support from many friends, club members and family. It is only fitting that the Allan G Nagle trophy be recognition for the others as well. My thanks to all.

John Martin

COTM 2009_06





My First Sports car


COTM 2009_04







More Articles...

  1. COTM 2009_03
  2. COTM 2009_02
© Template -ALLROUNDER Content- GVACS